There’s an old proverb that goes “What the devil doesn’t know can’t hurt him.” Well in this case it actually does, it’s hurting you, it’s hurting me, and it is definitely hurting our kids and putting them at risk for some serious medical conditions.
Please read along and pass this information to your family and friends, it is only through awareness that we can help other to learn the truth.Like the old Belizean proverb.. “No monkey seh ih pikney ugly – No monkey will says it’s child is ugly” which means that no one will admit to fault or that they are wrong. We simply cannot depend on the drug makers to tell us what is safe and what is not, we must search for the real information and understand it.
Aspartame – is the technical name for the brand names NutraSweet, Equal, Spoonful, and Equal-Measure. It was discovered by accident in 1965 when James Schlatter, a chemist of G.D. Searle Company, was testing an anti-ulcer drug. It is by far the most dangerous ingredient on the market today. There are several toxic breakdown chemicals from these aspartame products that make them dangerous for a developing fetus but also for mothers.
Aspartame during pregnancy … Far from sweet
There are several toxic breakdown chemicals from these aspartame products that make them dangerous for a developing fetus but also for mothers. The major concerns about pregnant women ingesting aspartame during pregnancy are birth defects and damage to certain areas of the brain. This potential brain damage includes the parts of the brain involved in complex learning and hormone control.
Out of the over 90 documented symptoms, the most common occurrences include:
- Mental Confusion
- Slurred Speech
- Ringing in the ears
The Three Chemical Components of Aspartame
Aspartame has three chemical components:
- Phenylalanine (50 percent)
- Aspartic acid (40 percent)
- Methanol, also called wood alcohol, (10 percent).
Those in support of this very popular artificial sweetener (including the FDA and its patent owner Monsanto who has aspartame yearly sales over $1 billion), state that the two primary amino acids, which comprise 90 percent of aspartame by weight, are a harmless and natural part of our diet.
They insist phenylalanine is a harmless amino acid precursor to the neurotransmitters adrenaline, nor-adrenaline, and dopamine and that aspartic acid is a naturally occurring neurotransmitter, which is already present in the human central nervous system. This is only a partial truth.
Phenylalanine and aspartic; on their own, they enter the central nervous system in abnormally high concentrations, causing excessive firing of nerve cells and potential nerve cell death. The toxic effects of these amino acids, when consumed in excessive isolated amounts, can be linked to a very long list of serious side effects and symptoms.
Very worrisome is the 10 percent of aspartame that is absorbed into the bloodstream as methanol (wood alcohol). The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) defines safe consumption as no more than 7.8 milligrams per day of this dangerous substance. A one-liter beverage, sweetened with aspartame, contains about 56 milligrams of wood alcohol, or eight times the EPA limit!
Even Scarier Breakdown Chemicals
Aspartame’s breakdown products are even scarier than its components. Phenylalanine decomposes into diketopiperazine (DKP) a known carcinogen, when exposed to warm temperatures or prolonged storage. To make matters even worse, at cold temperatures, methanol will spontaneously give rise to a colorless toxin known as formaldehyde. It accumulates within the cells, and reacts with cellular proteins such as enzymes and DNA. This cumulative reaction could spell grave consequences for those who consume aspartame-laden diet drinks and foods on a daily basis.
DKP has been implicated in the occurrence of brain tumors. It is proven that DKP is formed in liquid aspartame containing products during prolonged storage.
Dangers for Fetuses and Newborns
Before birth and during the first 12 months of infant life, the blood-brain barrier (a barrier that prevents unwanted chemicals from entering the deepest recesses of the brain) is not yet completely formed dangerous excitotoxins, such as the aspartic acid and phenylalanine contained in aspartame, are given free access to the child’s nervous system. Additionally, the concentrating effects of the placenta are able to magnify the levels of phenylalanine in the blood by as much as 400-600 percent in a fetus!
Brain Damage and Seizures
Brain damage from aspartame ingestion is believed to occur through flooding the brain with large amounts of phenylalanine, disturbing the balance of neurotransmitters, and methanol-induced brain swelling. Formaldehyde, which is derived from methanol, accumulates in certain areas of the brain that correspond to the neurodegenerative symptoms of Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s and ALS (Lou Gehrig’s Disease).
Depression and Anxiety
Excitatory neurotransmitters use up excessive amounts of the relaxing, antidepressant neurotransmitters serotonin and GABA. This can lead to postpartum depression, postpartum anxiety disorder, and insomnia.
Aspartame Research Ignored
For over eight years, the FDA refused to approve aspartame because it was known to produce seizures and brain tumors in laboratory animals. Searle Pharmaceuticals was the original developer of Aspartame. One pivotal study by Searle’s researchers, known as the “Waisman Study,” initially indicated that ingestion of Aspartame caused convulsions and death in monkeys.
Initially, even the National Soft Drink Association (NSDA) rallied against the use of Aspartame. An excerpt of a protest submitted for congressional review in 1983 reads:
Of approximately 100 independent studies conducted on aspartame, over 90 percent have demonstrated significant health risks.
Even now, FDA officials continue to resist the many proposals from concerned scientists, physicians and other groups for comprehensive studies regarding the safety of aspartame.
Aspartame Side Effects
There are over 92 different health side effects associated with aspartame consumption.
Adverse reactions and side effects of aspartame include:
- blindness in one or both eyes
- decreased vision and/or other eye problems such as: blurring, bright flashes, squiggly lines, tunnel vision, decreased night vision
- pain in one or both eyes
- decreased tears
- trouble with contact lenses
- bulging eyes
- tinnitus – ringing or buzzing sound
- severe intolerance of noise
- marked hearing impairment
- epileptic seizures
- headaches, migraines and (some severe)
- dizziness, unsteadiness, both
- confusion, memory loss, both
- severe drowsiness and sleepiness
- paresthesia or numbness of the limbs
- severe slurring of speech
- severe hyperactivity and restless legs
- atypical facial pain
- severe tremors
- severe depression
- personality changes
- palpitations, tachycardia
- shortness of breath
- recent high blood pressure
- diarrhea, sometimes with blood in stools
- abdominal pain
- pain when swallowing
Skin and Allergies
- itching without a rash
- lip and mouth reactions
- aggravated respiratory allergies such as asthma
Endocrine and Metabolic
- loss of control of diabetes
- menstrual changes
- marked thinning or loss of hair
- marked weight loss
- gradual weight gain
- aggravated low blood sugar (hypoglycemia)
- severe PMS
- frequency of voiding and burning during urination
- excessive thirst, fluid retention, leg swelling, and bloating
- increased susceptibility to infection
Additional Symptoms of Aspartame Toxicity include the most critical symptoms of all
- irreversible brain damage
- birth defects, including mental retardation
- peptic ulcers
- aspartame addiction and increased craving for sweets
- hyperactivity in children
- severe depression
- aggressive behavior
- suicidal tendencies
Aspartame may trigger, mimic, or cause the following illnesses:
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Post-Polio Syndrome
- Lyme Disease
- Grave’s Disease
- Meniere’s Disease
- Alzheimer’s Disease
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- Mercury sensitivity from Amalgam fillings
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)
- Does Aspartame Cause Multiple Sclerosis? (everydayhealth.com)
- The dangers of diet soda…MUST READ!! (thedayiturneduncool.wordpress.com)
- Aspartame (in diet soft drinks) could be killing you! (northadelaidefitness.wordpress.com)
- DANGER, Will Robinson! Someone is poisoning you! (diamondsonyourinside.wordpress.com)
- The Dangers of Diet Soda (janehanisch.wordpress.com)
- Aspartame Associated with Increased Risk of Blood Cancers in Long-Term Human Study (articles.mercola.com)
- Toxicology Expert Explains Why Aspartame is So Dangerous to Your Health (2012thebigpicture.wordpress.com)
- FW: WARNING – New Artificial Sweetner – NEOTAME – is (actually) very dangerous – Rex P. (inquiringminds.cc)