- Start with a cage containing five monkeys. In the cage, hang a banana on a string and put stairs under it. Before long, a monkey will go to the stairs and start to climb towards the Banana.
- As soon as the monkey touches the stairs, spray all of the monkeys with cold water. After a while, another monkey makes an attempt with the same result-all the monkeys are sprayed with cold water.
- Turn off the cold water. If, later, another monkey tries to climb the stairs, the other monkeys will try to prevent it even though no water sprays them.
- Now, remove one monkey from the cage and replace it with a new one. The new monkey sees the banana and wants to climb the stairs. To his horror, all of the other monkeys attack him. After another attempt and attack, he knows that if he tries to climb the stairs, he will be assaulted.
- Next, remove another of the original five monkeys and replace it with a new one. The newcomer goes to the stairs and is attacked. The previous newcomer takes part in the punishment with enthusiasm.
- Again, replace a third original monkey with a new one. The new one makes it to the stairs and is attacked as well. Two of the four monkeys that beat him have no idea why they were not permitted to climb the stairs, or why they are participating in the beating of the newest monkey.
- After replacing the fourth and fifth original monkeys, all the monkeys which have been sprayed with cold water have been replaced. Nevertheless, none of the monkeys ever again approach the stairs. Why not? “BECAUSE that’s the way it’s always been done around here.”
This is so correct of the political system in Belize. We need to change this ASAP. It also reminds me of how many Belizeans operate, we do things simply because that is the way it’s always been done. We need to stop this nonsense and start looking at the bigger picture. Belizeans need to start educating ourselves and others to be better people and to move ahead in life, not go backwards or remain at a stand still. Don’t just beat up the new monkey if you don’t know why you are doing it.
Remember the old saying, rolling rocks gather no moss.
Social Conditioning is a sociological process of influencing an individual psyche to fit social and cultural expectations.
- Are we conditioned? (ljsilentg.com)
- Psychology 101… (twtface.com)
- Monkey Business: Did you ever get soaked, while trying to grab a Banana? (balancedaction.wordpress.com)