Want to test the proposed Facebook Timeline setup before your friends do? Here are steps to get yourself upgraded and into the future.
- Log into Facebook
- Enable developer mode, if you haven’t already. To do this, type “developer” into the Facebook search box, click the first result (it should be an app made by Facebook with a few hundred thousand users), and add the app; or click here.
- Jump into the developer app (if Facebook doesn’t take you there automatically, it should be in your left-hand tool bar)
- Create a new app (don’t worry — this will be for your use only). Give your app any display name and namespace you see fit. Read through and agree to the Platform Privacy agreement. This is the step you need to be verified for.
- Ensure you’re in your new app’s main settings screen. You should see your app’s name near the top of the page.
- Look for the “Open Graph” header, and click the “Get Started using open graph” link. Create a test action for your app, like “fly” a “kite”, or “kick” a “ball”
- You can just accept the defaults for the next screens.
- Wait about a minute or so.
- Go back to your Facebook homescreen. An invite to try Timeline should be waiting at the top of the page.